We spent quarantine in San Cristobal De Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico.
In our lovely hostel (La Posada del Abuelito) there were english, japanese, mexican, chinese, dutch, italian, greek and french people. We often used to cook for the group, and there is ONE MEAL that absolutely delighted everyone. To our surprise it was one of the most simple dish to make: onion soup!
Preparation: 15 min
Cooking: 35 min
Recipe for 10 persons
- 10 big white onions
- 2L of vegetable broth
- 0,5L of dry white wine (a cheap one is perfect)
- 3 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 50g of butter (classic or vegan)
- 10 large slices of garlic bread (or scrub garlic onto the bread)
- Optional: grated cheese (classic or vegan)
1. Peel and cut all the onions in medium slices.
Tips: if it's too hard, get someone to do it for you :)
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and brown the onions for ~5 min.
3. Mix the onions with flour and cook for ~3 min.
4. Salt, pepper and pour the broth, then the wine. Cover and cook 30 min. Tips: try and add up some wine to your convenience.
5. Grill the bread in the oven or toaster, then place the slices in individual bowls.
6. Pour the soup in the bowls. It's ready! If you want you can sprinkle some grated cheese directly on the soup.
Bon appétit !