For this recipe you will need an oven, a small one will do the job just fine. Cauliflower contains many nutritients, is high in fibers and a good source of antioxidants. Cheap and easy to find in many countries, however not often cooked as nuggets. Believe us, it is a treat and a great meal for all vegetarian backpackers!
Preparation: 15 min
Cooking: 40 min
Recipe for 4 persons
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (Maizena)
- 3 tablespoons of peanuts
- 10cl of water
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (the one you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar (optional, any vinegar is fine)
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 10cl of tomato puree
- 75g of breadcrumbs
1. Start by preparing the coating and crush the peanuts. In a salad bowl, mix vigorously (with a whisk) the peanuts, the cornstach and hot water. Stir every now and then when you see the cornstarch falling. You will achieve the desired consistency after 10/15 minutes, which is enough time to work through the other steps of the recipe :)
2. To prepare the tomato sauce: cut the onion and garlic into small cubes. Put them in a salad bowl and add the cumin, salt and pepper. Then add the vinegar, mustard, lime juice and tomato puree. Mix and set aside at room temperature.
3. In the coating bowl add salt, pepper and paprika. Prepare a bowl of breadcrumbs.
4. Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F).
5. Wash your cauliflower and cut it into pieces. Dip each piece of cauliflower in the coating, then in the breadcrumbs. Place them on the baking sheet next to each other and bake for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes of cooking, pour the tomato sauce on the cauliflower and mix it. Be careful not to burn yourself! Cook for another 20 minutes.
Bon appétit !